Hey there! I’m Declan, head writer of this blog where I share my journey from a nine-to-five office job to fulfilling my dream of self-employment.
On this blog, I share my thoughts on how millennials like myself can practically chase their dreams and design the life they want. This page will give you an overview of what to expect.
But first, I’m going to have to ask you to leave if you are one of the following:
- Settled with the way things are
- Afraid of shifting paradigms
- Not motivated to create a better life for yourself
- Typically call young people “Dem dang kids!”
If you said yes, shoo. We don’t want you here.
But if you are:
- Ambitious to make something of your life
- Tired of the 9-to-5
- Pent up with energy
- Ready to challenge the status quo
Yeah, you can stick around. In fact, first share your email with me so we can get in touch. I want you to be part of my community!
Okay, so now a little about me…
I am not a writer by trade. I graduated college with a bachelor’s degree in industrial engineering, so I am analytical by nature. But I believe everyone possesses a creative ability that is worth sharing with the world.
I started this blog with three reasons in mind:
- Millennials are a unique group of people who have a lot to share with the world. I want to highlight these qualities.
- Too often, people settle on a “comfortable” life rather than chase their dreams. I want to encourage people to do the latter.
- I wrote a book (The Millennial Way) and I’d like to float my ideas about the book on the interwebs first.
And in a small way, this blog is to document my journey from an ordinary life to an extraordinary one.
Currently, I am a supply chain analyst with a nine-to-five. But during the margins of my day, I take small steps towards my dream of becoming a self-employed. In the fall of 2016 I launched my first business, SHRPA which was a major step to reaching my dream.
If you have the passion, and burning desire to change your life for the better, this blog is for you.
I publish between one and two articles a week and am always looking for ways to serve my readers. If you don’t want to miss any updates, sign up to receive my weekly newsletter as well as info about my new ebook. As a small thank-you, I’ll send you a copy of my eBook A Millennial Manifesto that I co-wrote with my wife.
Why Live, Create, Persevere, and Dream
If you haven’t read my Millennial Manifesto, do so now. It explains everything (that’s why it’s a manifesto). But if you want to just get a sense of why I focus on these four areas, here are some of the best blog posts for each:
- When Things Don’t go According to Plan
- 4 Ways to Live an Intentional Life
- Why I Wrote this Post Instead
- On the Verge of Change
- Is Dreaming of a Better World Acting Entitled?
- So You Don’t Think You’re Creative
- How to be Original Like French Toast and not a Sponge
- Stop Being Productive and Start Being Creative
- Every Millennial Needs a Creative Outlet
- Creativity is the Future of Work
- Why I Stopped Hacking my Way to Success
- Managing Friction Leads to Better Momentum
- The Simple Way to Start a Habit
- 5 Ways to Un-Wreck Your Routine
- The Real Reason You Come Home Exhausted from Work
- Step Up, Step Out, Step Forward
- How do you know you’re on the right path?
- To Chase a Dream, or Make a Living
- Give Yourself Permission to Dream
- What if I have no idea what to do with my life?
What is a “Millennial Type“
Originally, I started this blog with my wife and a few friends. “Millennial Type” was a play on words to reflect the different types of Millennials contributing to the blog as well as referencing the notion of the written word.
After about 8 months, we decided to take over the blog and convert it to our own personal blog. You can read more about our decision here. At first, we had no idea what the blog would focus on anymore. As Erica became more and more busy with school, I took over the head writing position and zoned in on what I know – having a dream and chasing after it.
I’ve dreamed of self-employment for as long as I can remember. I never took the dream seriously until I read Jeff Goins’ The Art of Work. In April of 2015, I was fortunate enough to interview Jeff about his book. I’ve been on a whole new trajectory since.
I spent the remainder of the year reaching out to other Millennials who were chasing or succeeded in attaining their dream. I wanted to learn as much as I could from these individuals and apply what I learned from them to my life.
I compiled the stories of these Millennials and my own personal journey into a book, The Millennial Way: Step Up, Step Out, Step Forward. You can learn more about the book here.
A little about the author(s) in the third person
Together with his wife Erica, Declan set out to create an awesome blog after their first awesome blog Cooking in College. Besides working full-time and running this blog, Declan is an avid fan British TV shows, podcasts, everything Pittsburgh, Manchester City FC, and indie music.
Starting out at Cooking in College, Erica fell in love with blogging and decided to move to bigger and better things when creating Millennial Type with her husband, Declan. In addition to food and the blog world, she loves ballet, Mad Men (Jon Hamm, amiright?), her cats Rory and Cici (the best in the world), the borderline excessive use of parentheses, and being a student (seriously, let’s never leave grad school).